Destinations Gyeongsangbuk-do

The Buddhist culture of the Silla Kingdom and the Confucian culture of the Joseon Dynasty are well preserved in Gyeongsangbuk-do. Among a wide variety of tourist attractions, Gyeongju, the capital of the Silla Kingdom, and Andong Hahoe Village are most celebrated. Mt. Juwangsan National Park, the fine beaches, and the natural springs provide excellent tourist destinations.



Recommended Sites

  • Bulguksa Temple
    Address :
    15 Jinhyeon-dong, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
    Description :
    Bulguksa Temple is the representative relic of Gyeongju and was designated as a World Cultural Asset by UNESCO in 1995. The beauty of the temple itself and the artistic touch of the stone relics are known throughout the world.

    Bulguksa Temple was built in 528 during the Silla Dynasty, on the 15th year of King Beop-Heung (reign 514-540). It was called Hwaeom Bulguksa Temple or Beopryusa Temple back then. In 751, under King Gyeong-Deok (reign 742∼765), Kim Dae-Seong (700-774) started rebuilding the temple and finished in 774, under King Hye-Gong (reign 765∼780). After 17 years of construction, the name 'Bulguksa' was finally given to the temple. The name 'Bulguksa' was kept through numerous renovations of the temple from Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) to Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). But during Imjinwaeran War (the war provoked by Japan's invasion, 1592-1598) the wooden building was burned, 819 years after first being established. From 1604, during Joseon Dynasty (King Seon-Jo’s 37th year) the reconstruction started again and was renovated approximately 40 times till 1805, to the reign of King Sun-Jo (1790-1834). But the temple still suffered many robberies and damage afterwards. In 1969, the Bulguksa Temple Restoration Committee was formed and Mulseoljeon, Gwaneumjeon, Birojeon, Gyeongru and Hoerang, which were merely left as grounds of the original buildings, were rebuilt in 1973. Other old or broken sites such as Daewungjeon, Geukrakjeon, Beomyeongru and Jahamun were repaired. The Bulguksa Temple of today has many cultural relics preserved within it, such as Dabo-tap (National Treasure No.20), Sukga-tap (National Treasure No.21) Yeonhwa-gyo* Chilbo-gyo (National Treasure No.22), Cheongun-gyo*Baekun-gyo (National Treasure No.23) Golden Seated Vairocana Buddhist Figure (National Treasure No.26), Golden Seated Amita Figure (National Treasure No.27) and Sari-tap (National Treasure No.61) among others.

    Directions :
    At Gyeongju Bus Terminal or Gyeongju Train Station, take the Bulguksa Temple bound bus (Bus No.11, No.12, No.101 or No.102). Get off at Bulguksa Temple Bus Stop (35 minutes ride).
    Information :
    - Information : Bulguksa Temple Religious Affairs Office Tel: 054-746-9912-3 (Kor) -Homepage: http://www.bulguksa.or.kr (Kor, Eng, Jap) -Hours : (Winter Season) 07:00 - 17:00 (Summer Season) 07:00 - 18:00 -Admission Fee
     

    Class

    Adults (won)

    Teenagers (won)

    Children (won)

    Individuals

    1,000 won

    800 won

    600 won

    Groups (30 people or more)

    1,000 won

    700 won

    500 won

    * Children: Age 7-12 / Teenagers: Age 13-24 / Adults: age 25 and over

     

  • Goryeong Daegaya Historic site
    Address :
    Jisan-ri Goryeong-eup Goryeong-gun Gyeongsangbuk-do
    Description :
    Goryeong is a town 4 hours away from Seoul, and there are many relic sites of Daegaya around the whole district of Goryeong-gun. Around the 1st century, Daegaya was formed in the Nakdonggang River’s downstream area in the lower Korean peninsula, flourished independently for 520 years (AD42-562), and declined after the 6th century. After its decline, part of it was annexed by Silla (57 BC - AD 935), and the rest annexed by Baekjae (18 BC-AD 60), and became a forgotten tribal kingdom.
    On King Jinheung’s (reign 540-576) 23rd year of reign it became the district of Daegaya, and the name was changed to the district of Goryeong on King Gyeongdeok’s (reign 742--765) 16th year of reign.
    This is the place where you can view the country’s first Sunjangmyo (tomb where many dead people were buried together), called Jisandong Gobungun, Daegaya Royal Tomb Exhibit Hall, and Treasure No. 605, the pre-eminent relics site of the Prehistoric Period called Yangjeondong Amgakhwa, and other various cultural assets. There is a large, ancient tomb with a diameter of 20m, built on the ridgeline of the mountain, and as you go down the mountain, there are 159 other tombs of smaller scale. The largest tomb in the south side is called the Geumrim Royal Tomb, and the other large tombs near it are presumed to be tombs of royalty or aristocrats. At the Daegaya Royal Tomb Exhibit Hall, site of the restored No. 44 tomb, you can see the ancient custom of burying the living with the dead (Royalty buried with their retainers). The dome-style exhibit hall displays Sunjangseokgwak, ironware, pottery and other various excavated relics.

    Directions :
    From Goryeong Bus Stop, 20 minutes walk
    Information :
    Goryeong-gun County Office Culture Information Center Tel: 054)950-6060-3 (Kor/Jap)
     

  • Ulleungdo Island
    Address :
    Ulleungdo, Ulleung-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do, Korea
    Description :
    Ulleungdo is a pentagon shaped island located 92 km away from Dokdo. The island is a mountain island made from volcanic eruptions. Its highest peak is called Seonginbong Peak, and there is a village along the coastline on the slope. On the north side is a caldera crater which collapsed to create the Nari Basin and the Albong Basin. Level ground is difficult to find here and the shores are mostly cliffs. There are a lot of snow in the winter. About half of the people work in the fishing industry. Corn, potatoes, wheat and beans were cultivated here, but nowadays mountain plants and medicinal herbs are mostly grown instead. There are dongbaek trees and some 650 other plants and trees thriving on the island. The neighboring waters is the junction line between two cold & warm ocean currents, where many squids, saury and pollacks are caught. The Ulleungdo squid is especially famous for their outstanding quality. It has been said that there are no thieves, pollution or snakes on Ulleungdo Island. On the other hand, there are many aromatic trees, wind, beautiful women, water and rocks. This is why it is called the island of The Three Mu (The Chinese character meaning ' have nothing') and Five Da(The Chinese character meaning 'have many of'). You can enjoy the scenery by taking a cruise around Ulleungdo, Jukdo, Gwaneumdo Islands, and a natural tunnel. Elephant Rock, Samseonan, and Lion Rock are some of the other tourist attractions praised by tourists.
    Directions :
    Take a ferry from Pohang to Ulleungdo Island. Because the ferry schedule vary from season to season, please check beforehand.
    Sunflower Ferry (Daeah Express Shipping Company) has regular rides between Pohang and Ulleungdo Island. (Check ferry schedules prior to the trip. The schedules often change due to weather conditions).

    Information :
    Daeah Express Ferry - Seoul :
    (02)514-6226,6766 (Kor)
    Sokcho Cruiser Terminal Harbor :
    (033) 636-2811-2 (Kor)
    Pohang Harbor : (055) 42-5111-2 (Kor)
    - Schedule: Pohang - Ulleungdo Daeah Express Car & Ferry/ 12:00 (noon) - 7 hours 30 minutes ferry ride.
     

  • Cheongnyangsa Temple
    Address :
    247 Bukgok-ri, Myeongho-myeon, Bonghwa-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do
    Description :
    It is quite difficult to get to Cheongnyangsa Temple, probably not worth the effort if it’s just to see a rather ordinary temple building. But it is a place where you can feel the presence of Buddha: the beautiful scenery of Mt. Cheongnyangsan from the temple simply cannot be described in words.
    Cheongnyangsa Temple is located at the foot of Yeonhwabong Peak, which is in Mt. Cheongnyangsan Provincial Park. The temple was established by the Great Buddhist Monk Won-Hyo, on King Munmu’s (661-681) 3rd year of reign, during the Silla (57BC-AD935) Period.
    Cheongnyangsa Temple is currently a very small temple, but it is believed to have been a very large temple once. Because of political measures of the Joseon Period (1392-1910) to abolish all temples in the country, only the Cheongnyangsa Yuribojeon (regional cultural asset No. 47) and Eungjinjeon are left. There is a calligraphy tablet preserved in the sanctuary, which was written by King Gongmin (reign 1351-1374) during the Goryeo Period.

    Directions :
    From Bonghwa take the Mt. Cheongnyangsan bound bus (30-40 minutes travel time)
    Information :
    Cheongnyangsan Provincial Park Control Office 054-672-4994 (Kor, Eng) - Admission Fee: Because the Park is within Cheongnyangsan Provincial Park, visitors must pay admission fee. Adults age 19+ : ₩800 (groups of over 30 : ₩600) Youths age 13-18 : ₩600 (groups of over 30 : ₩400) Children age 7-12 : ₩300 (groups of over 30 : ₩200) ※ Children- Age 7-12 / Teenagers- Age13-18 /Adults - Ages over 19
     

  • Buseoksa Temple
    Address :
    Bukji-ri Buseok-myeon Yeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
    Description :
    Buseoksa Temple is a “masculine” temple. It differentiates itself from other temples by its huge size and the scenery are refreshing and beautiful as well. Buseoksa Temple was built in 676, when King Munmu (661-681) ruled the Silla Dynasty (57 B.C. - A.D. 935), by the founder Uisang (625-702) after he received orders from the King. Later in the 7th year (1016) of the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) was in the reign of King Hyeonjong (reign 1010 to 1031) Great Buddhist Monk Wonyung (964-1053) renovated Muryangsujeon (National Treasure No.18). It was renovated several times afterwards. The legend of lady Seonmyo and Uisang is famous. The two met when Priest Uisang went to Dang (Dynasty of China) to study. When Uisang told Seonmyo he would go back to his country, Seonmyo jumped into the sea and drowned. After death, she became a dragon. Seonmyo followed Uisang to Silla to protect and be with him. When Uisang ran against a crowd that had gathered to stop him from building Buseoksa Temple, Seonmyo brought up stones in the air three times. The stone that floated stands on the left side of Muryangsujeon. Because a wide, flat stone had floated above the ground, the temple was named Buseoksa Temple. At the entrance of Buseoksa you will see 108 steps between Cheonwangmun gate and Anyangmun gate. The number of steps represents redemption from agony and evil passions through 108 cycles. You will find Buseoksa Temple’s Three Story Tower when you pass the Iljumun and Cheonwangmun gates. Above the tower you will see Beonjongru. When you pass Bumjongru, you can see a pavilion called Anyang, which means 'entrance to Heaven'. Go past Anyang Pavillion and you will reach the main building of Buseoksa Temple, Muryangsujeon, which boasts beautiful curved lines of the building structure. Muryangsujeon is a wooden building made in the Goryeo Dynasty. Inside you will find National Treasure No.45, Sojo Yeorae Seated Figure. There are more National Treasures and relics inside such as the Josadang (National Treasure No.19), Josadang Wall Painting (National Treasure No.46) and the Stone Lantern (National Treasure No.17) in front of Muryangsujeon.
    Directions :
    At Yeongju Bus Terminal, take the Huibangsa bound bus.
    Information :
    Buseoksa Religious Affairs Office Tel: 054-633-3464 (Kor) -Hours: (Winter ) 7am- 6pm (Summer) 6am- 7pm -Homepage: http://bss.buddhism.org (Kor) -Admission Fee: Adults (won) Teenagers (won) Children (won) Individuals 1,200 1,000 800 Group(30 people or more) 1,000 800 500 ※ Children- Age 7-12 / Teenagers- Age13-18 /Adults - Ages over 19
     

  • Mt. Cheongnyangsan Provincial Park
    Address :
    247 Bokgok-ri, Myeongho-myeon, Bonghwa-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do
    Description :
    Mt. Cheongnyangsan Provincial Park is the place, from ancient times, where many famous high priests and writers have resided. At Mt. Cheongnyangsan, the Giam cliff forms 12 peaks and the Nakdonggang River flows through it. On this mountain stands the Cheongnyangsa Temple, which was built by Wonhyo Daesa (617 - 686.3.30) during King Munmu’s (reign 661-681) 3rd year of reign during the Silla Period (BC57-AD935). There are also various temples, Gwanchang Pokpo Falls, and many other sites to see. Behind the Provincial Park’s boulder is a monument with a poem inscribed on it by the famous scholar Toegye I Hwang (1501-1570) of the Joseon Period called Cheongnyangsanga. When Toegye was planning to build Dosanseodang, a school for the teachings of Confucianism, he had a tough time deciding on whether to build it there at Mt. Cheongnyangsan, or the alternate spot, where it was eventually built, on a decision made at the last minute. Aside from Toegye I Hwang, Won-Hyo and Ui-Sang (625 - 702), the Buddhist monks, Gim-Saeng (711 - 791), a master of calligraphy, Chi-Won Choi (857 - ?), a scholar, and many others came to this mountain to cultivate their arts. Their presence still lingers in legends, being told to this day. Osandang is believed to have been built by the disciples of Toegye at the spot where Toegye conferred with literary men, and is one of many relics found here, among them the Mt. Cheongnyangsan Castle, which is believed to have been built by King Gongmin (reign 1351-1374) of Goryeo Period, to escape the rebellions of the peasantry.
    Directions :
    From Bonghwa, take the Mt. Cheongnyangsan bound bus. (30-40 minutes travel time)
    Information :
    Mt. Cheongnyangsan Provincial Park Control Office Tel: 054-672-4994 (Kor, Eng) -Admission Fee: Adults(won) Teenagers(won) Children(won) Individuals 800 600 300 Group(30 people or more) 600 400 200 ※ Children- Age 7-12 / Teenagers- Age13-18 /Adults - Ages over 19

Back to the Top 

 

Information provided by Korea National Tourism Organization.

 

Home | Bhutan | Brunei | Cambodia | China-Yunnan | East Timor | Hong Kong | India | Indonesia | Japan | Kazakstan | Korea | Kyrgystan | Laos | Malaysia Maldives | Mongolia | Myanmar | Nepal | Pakistan | Philippines | Singapore | Sri Lanka | Tajikistan | Taiwan | Thailand | Tibet | Turkmenistan | Vietnam Uzbekistan

 

Website partner : Asia-planet.com...Tours and Hotels around Asia.
Version Francaise : Planete-asie.com

Copyright © 2002 Orasia co.,ltd. (Asia-planet.net) All rights reserved. Reproduction without permission prohibited.